Sunday, April 10, 2016

MOTHER'S LOVE

My mother took up quilting later in life and decided to make a bedspread for each of her children. She was slightly concerned that I might be offended at her choice for me but I thought it was perfect. The outer border is called drunkard's path and in the center is a dove framed by roses in raised relief using the trapunto method.

It is an accurate description of my life described in fabric. I've studied the evenly spaced stitches, each done by hand and recalled that she had to have each quilt laundered before giving them to us in order to wash out the inevitable blood spots from pricking her fingers with the needle. 
Hundreds of stitches, months of dedicated work, an inspired view of how the whole thing would turn out, my quilt is also very symbolic of her love for me. The pain I had caused her both great and small and still she continued her labor of love. I believe that she would be proud of how I have turned out. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment