Friday, August 19, 2016

MEET MITZI


I've always called Mitzi my big dumb dog. She obviously doesn't think before she acts. This is the dog that ran out of the kitchen with the back of a chair wrapped around her head. But she has a heart of gold. She was very protective of her friends.

Lady helped raise her. Mitzi would raise the alarm whenever Lady had one of her seizures. I've witnessed her place her body between Lady and the heater until I could get to her. When Lady developed Cushings poor Mitzi took the blame for the overturned trashcans until I finally found out what was really happening. After Lady passed, Mitzi and Jack stepped up to help heal my heart.

Jack was the senior dog of the house. He also had seizures on occasion. He and Mitzi were an odd couple. He'd get the hots for her but she was too big for him to have any success. She'd just sit down and give him 'the look' until he'd finally give up. Whenever they were outside they were always together, each taking a turn at the lead as to where to go next. Again, Mitzi would sound the warning when Jack was in distress. I've seen her lay across the steps to keep him from falling down them. When he passed, she had to learn how to be an only dog.

Together, we've gone camping.
We've gone down to play in the creek. We've explored bunny nests, chased birds around the house when they find their way in. We've watched the baby squirrels chase each other in the tree.
All of the time that I had spent caring for and making memories with my elder dogs, she was doing the same. Now that she has adjusted to the loss of her friends and I have done the same, her childish nature has returned. She grabs her squeak toys and dances around enticing me to play. We both tire quickly but we both enjoy the diversion. She takes off after rabbits but gives up the chase a few yards in. Still, she turns back to look at me as if to say, "Did you see me?" I am happy to be getting to know this wonderful animal all over again.






No comments:

Post a Comment