Friday, July 29, 2016

WHICH WAY?



During my college days I was assigned to write an essay defining 'the good'. This was one of the most difficult and life defining tasks I'd ever been given. What I gained was a core belief that I hold to this day. Allow me to explain my conclusion.

When I leave home I have options. I can turn left or right. I can travel north, east, south or west. I can go up or down. What I can't do is arrive by this alone. I will never reach 'west' or down'. All of my choices are directions, not destinations. If I choose west, eventually I could arrive in California, a destination.

I have decided that good and bad are choices. They are directions but not destinations. Following 'the good' path leads towards perfection, which is a destination. I accept that this old jalopy of a human body is not likely capable of going that far, it is still the choice that I prefer to take. 'The Good', therefore I conclude is merely that which leads towards perfection in any aspect of life. 
 Which way are you headed?


No comments:

Post a Comment