Tuesday, February 6, 2018

SUE'S RECIPE

I admit it, I'm especially proud of myself today. Because of the high cost of beef these days, our dinner menu has been a steady diet of chicken or pork. Salads have been rare because I truly love the fresh farmer's market produce and let's face it, Walmart's produce sucks. Not exactly an iron rich diet and I tend towards anemia. One thing I do have plenty of in the freezer (thanks to some butchering friends) is liver. So tonight was liver and onion night.
I had made it once before and I was less than impressed. In other words, yuck. So I was determined that I would create the ultimate liver dish. I actually succeeded. It was almost delicious.
So I present to you, Sue's Liver Recipe. Maybe you need iron, or are just adventurous, but try it. Besides, I wanted to write it down so that I could make it again just as good.

Early prep: In the morning, place the liver in a colander or strainer and rinse until all the blood is washed out. Place the meat in a Ziploc bag with milk to marinate all day. (this reduces the bitterness).
Approximately two hours before dinnertime: Slice an onion, saute in plenty of butter. While the onions are cooking, put one can of cream of mushroom soup, and one can of water with a beef boullion cube into a casserole dish. Add another half can of water, salt, pepper and 2 tbsp. of brown sugar. Put your cooked onions into the casserole dish. Now brown your meat in the butter you cooked your onions in. Heat oven to 325. Stir all of you ingredients in the casserole dish then add your browned liver. Press the meat into the liquid so that it is covered. Cover dish with foil and place in oven for about one and a half hours. After one hour, pull out, stir, add another boullion cube, salt, pepper and a sprinkling of nutmeg. Replace foil and return to oven.
Serve with mashed potatoes. The gravy has enough flavor to cancel the bland/bitterness of the meat and this makes a lot of gravy.
Bon Appetit!
Sorry there's no picture. I wasn't expecting it turn out so good. The leftover night was even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment