Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A GIFT

A gift is something that is freely given to enhance or improve the life of another. Although we tend to think of gifts in terms of objects, you can also give the gift of time, knowledge or attention.

I try to keep myself aware of the gifts that are given to me and to thank the giver whenever possible. I have learned that the joy of giving lies in seeing that the receiver has benefitted from the gift that was given. Each small act of kindness that comes my way is a gift to me. I am grateful for all of them.

A friendly ear, a cheerful greeting, a cup of coffee in the morning mean more to me than things. They show me that I am cared for. I aim to reciprocate these acts with the things that I do. I get a tremendous amount of pleasure in cooking for others and seeing the pleasure on someone's face when I have made something particularly tasty. When someone spends $1.26 and I take the penny from the change drawer so that they can have quarters back, it is a small thing but it is also a gift.

Although these may all seem like small things, they make life easier and better and are given with that in mind. If something is given as the result of a demand or expectation, it is not a gift, it is ransom for approval. The joy of giving is taken away and resentment takes its place.

I think it is far better to allow others to choose to give, express gratitude for the gift and allow them the joy that comes with giving. It is not wrong to express what you need, to share what makes you happy but to expect those things from another places a burden on them to provide. You deny them the joy of giving freely. Express yourself and let it go. Be grateful whenever gifts come your way no matter how small and you'll be amazed at the kindness and generosity of those around you that you may not have been aware of before.

No comments:

Post a Comment