Monday, April 12, 2021

MY 'REAL' ID

 Soon, my PA driver's license will no longer be an acceptable form of ID to enter federal buildings or travel by air. I would need a 'real' ID.

Fortunately we have had a few years notice of this change and I had set about gathering the required documents. 

First was my birth certificate (not the original but an official embossed one). For this I had to locate my District's State Representative's office. They took my information and sent for my paperwork. I'm glad that I did this when I did. The Representative we had at the time had a very constituent friendly local office. From what I hear, the current Representative's office would have been more likely to hand me an address to submit myself if I asked really nice.

Second was my Social Security card. That wasn't a problem. I have that.

Third was proof of why my name doesn't match my birth certificate. I had been married. I needed my marriage certificate. I'm sixty years old and have moved many times over those years. I was fortunate, I actually found that particular piece of paper.

Lastly, I needed two proofs of residence. My current driver's license and a bank statement in my name sufficed.

I arrived at the DMV with all of the required paperwork in hand and $30 to cover the fee. Now I am a 'real' person.

I feel that I am very lucky. Not everyone can get all of these documents as easily and as cheaply as I was able to. Even for me, just the fee for the ID represents half of my weekly food budget. 

I hope that all of my fellow Pennsylvanians can manage to get their ID as well. Start early if you hope to gather the documents you will need.

No comments:

Post a Comment