Saturday, March 11, 2017

THE WINTER OF LIFE

It is a common analogy to liken the stages of life to the seasons. It does seem appropriate. As I approach the winter of life, I see the desolate barrenness of the landscape.

I have found myself going to funerals rather than weddings, memorials rather than baby showers. I have been witness to the passing seasons of family and friends. I actually read obituaries these days.
One dear friend is approaching the end of her life and will be soon joining others on the other side.
I feel confidant that her companions will greet her with joy and together without the burdens of failing health they will engage in raucous, joyous play.


Although there is sorrow in the letting go, there is also joy. I celebrate the time I had with those I love and feel confidant that we will meet again.





With the winter there are also moments of stunning clarity and beauty. The acceptance of the world as it is and the beauty of all that surrounds us is a gift best appreciated as we age. The days we have on the earth are somehow more precious.

It is a reminder to use that time more wisely, to be more generous and loving to those that are a part of our lives, to take in the grandeur and to let go of the shadows and darkness, to make our time and our lives matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment