Monday, November 28, 2016

SHEEP TO SHIRT

I love to crochet. It is something my mother taught me and I've gained skill and confidence over the years. I like a challenging pattern and have even made a few of my own.
One of the things that amazes me is how with just a hook and yarn I can make fabric which becomes wearable art or a stuffed animal.
I am indebted to those amazing people who discovered that the wool from an animal could be turned into threads and yarns. The ingenuity to develop a piece of equipment to do this astounds me.









If I had the patience, I would love to learn how to take this to the next level, in other words, how to use a loom.
Now we're talking textiles! The intricate patterns that skill, patience, and imagination allows. Again, whoever figured out how to build that piece of equipment that this woman is using was pure genius.
Such are my thoughts when I sit down with my skeins of yarn and assortment of hooks. It's easy to appreciate all that went into every item made of fabric, the silks, cottons, wools...all made from natural sources, the ingenuity, creativity and skill that each represents.



No comments:

Post a Comment